Elective program is a flagship program at the Faculty of Medicine Universitas Gadjah Mada to organize students placements from overseas universities who interested in
- increasing their knowledge on certain disease that are prevalent in Indonesia.
- obtaining new experiences of obervership in clinical and/ or community setting in Indonesia.
- getting the best practices of Indonesian health system including Indonesian culture and its social aspects.
To take part in elective program, you must be at least a third-year student at our partner universities under MOU (click here for list of partner universities), or other universities non MOU with special terms and conditions applied. For observership of clinical placements, Faculty of Medicine Universitas Gadjah Mada is closely collaborated with Dr. Sardjito Hospital. We gladly welcome elective students to explore, experience our program and enjoy our campus life which depicts blend of cultural power, professional life and technological advance.
Elective students are accepted for a total period of between 2 – 4 weeks. Each departments will only accept for maximum 4 (four) participants per program at the same period. The recommended period is January – December, except for the first week of January and the last week of December due to Christmas and New Year holiday. This schedule would also be adjusted with Ied Mubarak holiday which changes every year.
How To Apply
- Letter of Recommendation from the applicants’ Dean,
- Motivation letter
- Curriculum Vitae,
- A copy of Passport (ID page only),
- A copy of international student health insurance (optional but strongly recommended).
- Four (4) pcs passport size photographs and two (2) pcs 3X4 size photographs, recommended in red background (handed to the International Relation Office / IRO on arrival).
Mind that your application will be processed only if all those above documents are enclosed!
- For applicants from partner universities under MoU should be officially nominated by their home university through their international office/international coordinator.
For applicants from non-MoU universities please contact the International Relation Office (IRO) by sending email to email@example.com with subject “Incoming Elective”.
- Login to the elective page here: http://ugm.id/electiveform. If you don’t have an account you can register first.
- Choose the Apply Incoming Elective Program link and complete the form.
- Upload the required documents, such as Letter of Recommendation from the applicants’ Dean, Curriculum Vitae, A copy of Passport (ID page only), an outline (a brief proposal) indicating the specific purpose and expectation joining the elective programme at the department the applicant wish to apply for, a copy of international student health insurance (optional but strongly recommended).
- After getting confirmation from the expected department, IRO will send the applicants the letter of invitation as well as UGM sponsor visa (socio-cultural visa).
Mind that nomination from home university doesn’t guarantee any acceptance in the elective programme, as all really depends on the availability resources at each department in the period the applicant would like to apply for.
The deadline of application for each period is THREE months before the implementation.
The activities are mostly conducted at Faculty of Medicine and Dr. Sardjito teaching hospital. In addition, it could be conducted at satellite hospital or field visit to networking health centers of Faculty of Medicine Universitas Gadjah Mada. The elective programme offers various activities both in clinical and pre-clinical department, as follows (further information about departments please click here.):
|Clinical Department||Non-clinical Department|
|Obstetrics & Gynecology||Public Health|
|Paediatric||Anatomy, Embryology and Anthropology|
|Surgery||Pharmacology and Therapy|
|Psychiatry||Histology and Cell Biology (Molecular Biology)|
|Anestesiology and Reanimation|
We also offers tailor-made elective programme based on request of which depend on availabilities and requirements of each department. Mind that it is a non-waived tuition fee programme.
Medical, nursing, and nutrition students at least 3rd year of studies could take the elective programme with the Dean recommendation from home institution.
Programme Fees *
|No.||Item||Terms of Payment|
|1.||Application fee: US $100||It’s a non-refundable fee and payable on submission of each completed application form to IRO.|
|2.||Course fee: US $250 per month||It’s used solely for support of the courses involved in expected department covering hospital/ clinical/ ward activities, field visit, lecture/ mentoring .|
* waiver for MoU universities
Please note that changing the department during the program running, will be charged for application fee.
There are several places to stay near the faculty, you can find it by clicking here.