The history of the Faculty of Medicine can not be separated from the history of the Indonesian struggle to achieve independence. As the oldest faculty in Indonesia, the establishment of Faculty of Medicine milestone through a very long process. In the Dutch colonial era, there are two schools of medicine, namely Geneeskundige Hoge School (GHS) in Jakarta and the Netherlands Indies Arsten School (NIAS) in Surabaya. Furthermore, during the Japanese occupation (1943-1945) there were many changes. GHS changed its name to Djakarta Ika Daigaku, while NIAS closed and most of the students moved to Djakarta Ika Daigaku.
Shortly after the Proclamation of Independence, Djakarta Ika Daigaku taken over by the government of the Republic of Indonesia and changed its name to College of Medicine in Jakarta under the Ministry of Health. Because of the security situation in Jakarta is precarious due to the resistance everywhere, the Ministry had decided to move the Medical College Jakarta inland Central Java, Yogyakarta at the time as an important city of the Republic of Indonesia. unfortunately, Yogyakarta does not have adequate facilities for the establishment of Medical College, the establishment moved to Klaten, a small town between Yogyakarta and Surakarta. Section Preclinical Medical College was centered in Klaten and Surakarta part in the clinic. At that moment, a milestone in the establishment of the Faculty of Medicine began that March 5, 1946.
Dean was first after the establishment of Medical College (PTK) is Prof. Dr. Sardjito, assisted by dr. Soetarman, Drs. Radiopoetro and dr. Soemoesmo. Some lecturers include Drs. Sardjono, Prof. Ir. H. John, Prof. Abdulrahman Saleh and dr. Moh. Sale. Students who registered as first-year students are Soeprono, Soewasono, Parmono Ahmad, Nasir Alwi (never a Universias rector of Gadjah Mada), Soedibjo Prodjopoerwoko, Roekmini, Ismangoen, Soepardjo, and Poestika. Class and laboratory activities carried out in the hospital do Tegalyoso Klaten (now called dr. Soeradji Tirtonegoro). Before PTK stands Yogyakarta, Yogyakarta existing Technical High School and the Law School Foundation’s College of Gadjah Mada.
Idea arose among the ministries to incorporate colleges Universities and Schools high school became a university under the Ministry of Education, Teaching and Culture. The idea was realized with the opening of the State University of Gadjah Mada (UNGM) by the Ministry of PP & K on December 19, 1949 (now established as the anniversary of Gadjah Mada University).
Meanwhile, College of Medicine, College of Dentistry and College of Pharmacy still managed the Ministry of Health. Based on Government Regulation No. 37 on the establishment of UNGM signed by Mr. Assat as interim president of Indonesia; Ki Mangoen Sarkoro as Minister of PP & K, then the combined PTK, PTGK, PTF, and Hospital Medicine by the Ministry of Health submitted to the Ministry of PP & K. The term was changed to College of Fakultit namely Fakultit Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacy.
Thanks to the help of vice president of Indonesia. Drs. Moh. Hatta, Minister of Teaching and Culture, Ki Mangoen Sarkoro; Minister of Health Dr. Soerono and Prof. Soetopo; Finance Minister Lukman Hakim; Minister of Transportation and Public Works Ir. Laoh and Ir. Sitompul and Minister of Welfare and Agriculture I.J. Kamiso and Sadjarwo, SH and general secretary Mr. Hadi, Ir. Putuhena and Ir. Goenoeng, PTK Yogyakarta finally inaugurated on 1 November 1949 as the first complete RI PTK. The opening ceremony was attended by President Ir. Sukarno.
Finally in 1982, the Faculty of Medicine buildings scattered around the city of Yogyakarta were successfully transferred to the campus in Sekip. To support the smooth running of Medical Education, the Ministry of Health to build hospitals as an educational facility on the campus that Dr. Dr. Sardjito.